Written by: Marlene Dlin
Are you new to Canada? Are you an internationally educated professional (IEP)? Is your background in Information and Communications Technology (ICT)? If so, then IWES is for you!
IWES is a bridge training program designed specifically and only for IEPs who are new to Canada and have an ICT background and recent experience in the ICT industry.
Offered by the Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC), the IWES program helps its participants to distinguish what they need to know and do to present themselves favourably in the Canadian workforce. 85% of its graduates find work commensurate with their education and experience. The program is designed to bridge any potential gaps between these highly talented, experienced and educated professionals and the work that is available to them here in Canada. This is a win-win situation for both IEPs and Canadian employers looking to fulfill the growing digital needs that can only be met by accessing this rich population of newcomers.
ICTC is a not-for-profit national centre of expertise for the digital economy. Through trusted research, innovative talent solutions, and practical advice, ICTC fosters innovative and globally competitive Canadian industries empowered by a talented and diverse digital workforce.
The IWES program consists of two components:
- Three (3) weeks of full-time, in-class training - During the in-class portion of the program participants will learn how to best represent themselves based on the expectations of Canadian employers in terms of resumes, interviews, job search strategies and social media. There is a series of workshops and guest speakers, recruiter visits and details introducing them to Canadian Workplace Culture. Included in the program fee is also SCRUM Fundamentals certification.
- Three (3) months of coaching with a professionally trained coach which promises a minimum of 3 hours per month for each month – At the end of the 3 weeks in class, participants have an opportunity to be uniquely matched with a coach. That coaching relationship will support the participant in the 3 months following the in-class component with the ultimate goal of all being successfully landing meaningful employment in the ICT industry.
Participants experience a very personal and focused approach to their job search and preparation. Support by highly skilled and experienced staff is offered throughout the program and after until each one finds that perfect job. Coupled with the support of the others in the program, a mentor, and a coach, these participants find themselves going from one person searching to having a team of people working with them to find that perfect job.
The program is valued at over $4500 but thanks to funding offered by the government, ICTC is able to offer it at a fee of $399 plus tax for a total of $450.87.
You are eligible for IWES if you:
- have lived in Canada for less than 5 years
- have Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee status and are eligible to work in Canada
- have Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment with a minimum CLB 7
- have international post-secondary education
- have a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience within the last 2 years in the IT/ICT field
- are available for 3 weeks of full-time training in Scarborough, Ontario
If this sounds like something that would be good for you, contact Marlene Dlin at email@example.com for further details. You can also find the online application, which is the first step towards claiming your seat in the class, at www.newcomersICTcareers.ca.